Sunday 25 August 2013

Travelling light

The big red suitcase
Lying open on the bed
Isn’t that the one 
We’ve taken 
on countless holidays
Packed it with
Love and laughter
Crammed it 
full of memories
Spilling out joyously
Wheeled it through 
Innumerable years
Of togetherness
Thrown it thoughtlessy
Infinite times
On the conveyer belt
Of life
Nicked and scratched
Dented and taped
And yet trundling
Through on rusty wheels
Now it is
full of clothes
Piled askew
Are we finally 
Going somewhere again
A surprise trip
Down a well-traversed road
To revisit happier times
But all I see
are shirts and trousers,
Coats and ties
Dress shoes, black socks
Not the usual
Shorts and tees
slippers and sunscreen
And there’s no space
For my things
Do you not mean
To take me along
I get my answer when
You shut it with
A resounding click
That rings in my ears
And wheel it out
Leaving me behind
like lost luggage
you don't want to find
Or excess baggage
you want to shed


Ilyanna Kreske
Aug 26, 2013
MODERATOR PICK on Poets of G+
I am selecting this poem for three reasons:
1) beautifully wrought metaphor
2) great storytelling
3) delightful use of language and vocabulary


© 2013 Uma Venkatraman ~ All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment