Friday 23 August 2013

Kindness

A long hard day
Spent on my feet
Thought I’d get myself
A well-deserved treat
Piled my plate high
Queued up to pay
No money in my wallet
What was I to say
I’m sorry, I said
I can’t take the food
My empty stomach rumbled
As I suppose it should
The girl at the counter
Smiled and made my day
When she said, eat it 
And pay me another day
I sat at the table
A tear in my eye
Such a kind act
So hard to come by


*Written to fit this brief: Ok, your assignment this week, should you choose to accept it, is to write a poem about personal kindness of the main character of your poem (could be you, could be fictional) personally performs or sees performed. The character can be the initiator or the recipient or see it happening in front of them. It must be personal and it must happening in the poem.

Please, no poems about how great it is to be kind, that's a given. This Prompt is for writing a poem about personal kindness that is actually going on within the poem by the main character of your poem (you?) or someone around him/her.

Not meeting those two conditions will make your poem ineligible for competition.


© 2013 Uma Venkatraman ~ All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment