Friday 2 August 2013

Guilt

Do I stay or do I go?
This is the question
that nags me so
Out there is a world
waiting to be conquered
And I know
I'm capable of doing so

I find so much joy
in a job well done
And I do enjoy
my moments in the sun

But as I step out the door
And you tug at my hand
And look at me
with those tear-filled eyes
My step falters
And my new-found joy dies

I'm trapped by the longing
to be there for you
My heart says, stay
But my mind
urges me to go

How can I explain to you, little one
Though I have to leave you each day
You are always in my thoughts
and I'm just a phone call away

You may not understand now
because you are so young
but I hope that as you start to grow
Deep in your heart, you will know

Though you are dear to me
and always will be
There are new things for me to do
And new worlds to see

As you grow, 
watching me juggle
these two worlds
you will understand
that it can be fun
and you will learn
that it can be done

There's no need to choose
between one and the other
You can do both
and still be a wonderful mother


© 2013 Uma Venkatraman ~ All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment