Thursday 26 September 2013

Sink Or Swim


Cracks in the pavement
Slash at my feet
The sun blazes down
I wilt in the heat

The lonely road ahead
Is unforgiving and bleak
I long to stop and sit
My weary legs feel weak

I’ve walked a long way
But not gone very far
I’ve been bogged down
In misery’s sticky tar

I seek to rise above
Sadness and pain
I’ve got a lot to lose
And much more to gain

Sometimes I feel
I’ve conquered fear
I’ve risen above sorrow
And better times are here

I can feel a smile
Reach out to my lips
My heart starts to lift
And then the balance tips

As I spiral down I think
For a moment I was free
Then a blanket of despair
cast its shadow upon me

I feel happiness
Slip out of my hands
So difficult to cope
With all that life demands

It’s so easy to surrender
To the pull of the abyss
To drown in the darkness
Will that bring peace?

I’m tempted to give up
But I know I have to go on
I must keep up the struggle
Until the fight is won

© 2013 Uma Venkatraman ~ All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment