Wednesday 11 September 2013

Many more miles to Memphis

I wandered for years
through the maze
of a restless mind
seeking a place
where I belonged
On the outside
was a strange world
I couldn't understand
Within me 
a fidgety soul
that craved 
the stillness of air
before a storm
the calm of a pool
before ripples
disturbed its peace
Weary from the search
for a serenity
that eluded me
I felt there was nowhere
left to go
It was then I found 
an enlightened world 
full of people
I'd never met
who welcomed me
with words that healed
my fractured heart
where thoughts I had hid
from myself for so long
could finally breathe and live
I've travelled many miles
Now I'm free
I'm where I want to be
This is my Memphis


* Written to fit the brief: Your assignment, should you choose to accept it, is to write a poem that is entitled "Many More Miles to Memphis" and have your poem reflect that title in your own unique way. And remember, there is more than one place called Memphis in the world so it does not have to be about Memphis, Tennessee. You are also free to make up your own "Memphis".


© 2013 Uma Venkatraman ~ All Rights Reserved




No comments:

Post a Comment