Tuesday 3 September 2013

Morning joy

Rushing for the train to work
stopped in my tracks
by the sound of joy
in a child’s chortle
A mop-haired imp
tumbles at my feet
a world of innocence
in her smile
I savour the sparkle
in her eyes
delight in the firm grasp
of her grubby fingers
leaving smudges 
on my immaculate trousers
as she totters to her feet
handing me the treasure
she clutches in her hand
I look at a little yellow flower
as bright as her face
Placing it in my
outstretched palm
She turns and scampers
Into the anxious arms
Of her harried mother
Who hugs her tight
kisses her curls
gently scolds her
for vanishing like
the sun behind the clouds
My eyes follow them
till they’re lost to sight
I pick up the threads
of my now luminous day
And weave the colour
into my life

Moderator's Pick on Poets of G+
+Maya Davis also chose an unnamed piece by +Uma Venkatraman. In her words, "I think life often gives us moments to help redirect us to important things. This poem is a brief snapshot into one of those moments, and some of the phrases are beautifully poetic. For example, "gently scolds her
for vanishing like
the sun behind the clouds" is such a great line. I really enjoyed reading this piece, and appreciated how she chose to end the poem by showing how she brought that moment into her life."


© 2013 Uma Venkatraman ~ All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment