Monday 9 September 2013

Recipe for disaster

The smooth shell 
Defies me
But I must break the egg
to set free
The cake I want to bake
For you

A gentle tap
Creates a crack
Spreading on the surface
Hard to keep track
As the liquid mess
Leaks out

Like my heart
When it breaks
How your indifference
Makes it ache
To be whole
Once again

Now it is done
Yellow yolk
Like sunshine in a bowl
Waiting to soak
In the flour
I add

A cupful of sugar
Toss in
a handful of raisins
From the tin
Whisk it all into a 
Pale confusion

Will it rise
Golden brown
This gooey, sticky mix
Or sink down
into a failed attempt
Like our love

The hot oven
Is an angry red
Stray embers rising
From the dead
Debris of our
Relationship

No courage to face 
the heat
I pour a shot of whiskey
Drink it neat
Dump the dessert
End this farce

Moderator's pick on Poets of G+
+Maya Davis chose Breaking Up by +Uma Venkatraman. In her words, "One of the reasons I love poetry is the use of metaphor and imagery to set a tone or scene. This poem starts with the title and carries the theme of breaking up through the whole poem via the comparison of baking a cake. Beyond that, this poem had some great lines. Example: Whisk it all into a pale confusion. Even though poems on love can run toward trite, I enjoyed the use of the extended metaphor here, and liked how the poet carried the theme through to the end."


© 2013 Uma Venkatraman ~ All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment