Sunday 15 September 2013

Heartbreaker

No, she says,
in a silken tone
that cloaks the steel
in her sweet voice
Two letters, one word
with all the power
to break my heart
every time she says it
and that’s all the time

Do your homework
No
Clean your room
No
Stop looking at your phone
No

It could be worse
for sometimes she says
nothing at all
A blank gaze greets
my angry demands
looks through my
desperate pleas
Then she rolls her eyes
and halts my diatribe
in mid-stride

There was a time
when that annoying "no"
was triumphed by
by a bubbly “yes”
Did you eat your dinner
Yes
It
Yes
Have you put away your toys
Yes

Did I blink and miss the switch
From an eager to please
cheerful toddler
To a teenage solitude seeker
Inhabiting her own universe
where I am an alien
I ask permission
to enter her world
She says no
in a steely tone
with no hint of silk
to soften the blow


© 2013 Uma Venkatraman ~ All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment