Friday 18 October 2013

To My Precious Daughter

Once you fit perfectly on my lap
and raised your chubby hands 
to plant a petal-soft touch on my face
Then you started to walk,
and you wriggled away
but you never went too far
Your eyes lit up
when you saw me
and you ran back 

and hugged my legs
as if you'd never let me go
Now you run again
But you don't look back
And when you do,
I see only the desire to break free
The bonds begin to stifle you
and I know you want me to let you soar
But how do I explain
my wish to always keep you close
to shield you from every blow
that will break your heart
keep all the darkness at bay 

and your life always bright
But I know I can't hold on
Soon I have to let you go
to discover all that life offers
Its joys and sorrows
the ups and downs

So be patient, my darling
and don't cringe when I hold you tight
Remember the warmth of my embrace
when I'm no longer near
And know that if you ever need me
I'll always be here


© 2013 Uma Venkatraman ~ All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment