Wednesday 31 July 2013

Growing Pains

Seems like yesterday
that I first saw you
dangling upside down, by the legs
as the nurse held you.

Your tiny fists, clenched so tight
your eyes screwed up, your face turning red
as you bawled with all your might.

How helpless I felt, not knowing why you cried
and wondered how to cope with a tiny life.
Slowly, I got used to looking after you
Slowly, little by little, you grew

Your first words, your first smile,
and your first steps
all cherished with a fierce joy
and a pride so bright

How the years have sped by,
and now when I look at you,
I marvel at how you've changed

Baby fat melting away
chubby limbs growing tall and strong
That sweet little mouth
set in a stubborn pout
That gentle voice
now always raised in a shout
Those huge eyes that glare at me
And I wonder, where's my little baby?

But you're a baby no more
You're growing up fast, that's for sure
But as you discover yourself
and the world
And as I watch you become brave and bold
That foolish pride returns
and the joy I gain
fills my heart with a sweet piercing pain


© 2013 Uma Venkatraman ~ All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment