Tuesday 4 February 2014

Empty Room

Neatly made bed
Sheets stretched tight
Pillow plumped up
No indentations to indicate 
you ever slept here
How I hated 
the mess you made
piling all your stuff on it
ignoring the cupboards 
where it was meant to be
The chair you sat on all day
holds only a pile of newspapers 
you messily folded up
how it annoyed me 
the haphazard way 
you bunched them up
I would try 
to smooth out 
the creases 
never succeeding
And you never 
learnt to do it right
The television that blared 
all day long is blank
You never looked at it 
your lids drooping
You never listened 
when I asked you 
to turn it off
I never realised
you needed the sound 
to mask the loneliness
Now you are gone
the room is an empty shell 
Untouched
Unlived
Silent
It misses the warmth 
of your presence
And so do I

© 2014 Uma Venkatraman ~ All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment